Mental Health Professionals

Related reading on PSP: Resources and Advice About Therapy

Related reading around the web: 

See The New York Times article: ""In Therapy Forever? Enough Already" to help you realize if you\'re not getting the most out of therapy. 

NOTE: In order to have the widest choice of therapists when considering therapy it is best to find out whether your insurance policy covers therapists who are not in your network (this is called out of network providers). If  you have coverage for out of network providers ask about the amount of coverage per session and how much of a deductible you have.   

Choosing a Mental Health Professional (Common types of therapists and their differences):

Psychologists (Ph. D., Psy. D.)-As psychologist in the state of New York requires a Ph.D. in Psychology and two years supervised activities

Psychiatrists-A psychiatrist is that of a medical degree which allows her/him to prescribe mental health medication.

Counselors (Mental Health Counselor/Licensed Mental Health Counselor)- A counselor, Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) is a mental health professional and type of therapist whose career focus is generally extended to individuals, couples and families who are in need of talk therapy. You are required in New York State to have a Master\'s Degree or higher and 3,000 hours of post-master\'s supervised experience.

Psychoanalysts-Psychoanalysis is the process most associated with Sigmund Freud, and Carl Jung, offering a free environment to patients in order to go deep into the subconscious, and discover the root of behaviors, desires, habits and the effects of an immediate environment. Requires a Master\'s Degree or higher and 1500 hours of supervised clinical practice

Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs)-Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs) are a similar type of therapist to a LPC in that they offer a variety of dynamics to psychotherapy, including talk, analysis and solutions. MFTs focus on the dynamics of marriage between both parties, and the larger dynamic of family relationships. Oftentimes, sessions with a Marriage and Family Therapist will consist of a gathering inclusive to all parties involved - both married partners, or the entire family. During other sessions, the therapist may choose to have one-on-one session time with each individual, working toward better communication skills or an open environment within the family dynamic. Required: Master\'s or higher education as well as 1500 hours of supervised clinical experience.

Creative Arts Therapy (Music/Art Therapy)-In this type of therapy professionals use music or art as a way to work with professionals to help them overcome issues.  NYS regulations require Master\'s Degree or Higher and 1500 hours of post-master\'s supervision in creative arts therapies.

Rehabilitation Counselors- Rehabilitation counselors help people deal with the intense emotional and social effects that come from dealing with a disability. They help you overcome your issues by working you through your troubles.

Social Workers (LCSW, MSW)-New York requires that practicing social workers have a Master\'s in Social work with at least 12 semester hour of clinical coursework and 3 years post MSW supervised experience in diagnosis, psychotherapy and assessment-based treatment. 

HOW TO FIND THE RIGHT THERAPIST: Finding the right therapist means sitting down with and talking to them. Every person is different, their needs are different, and what the therapist can do is different. Check HERE for information about how to find YOUR right therapist.


Important Message from Park Slope Parents (PSP): Just a reminder, PSP member posts are not checked for accuracy. The content is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice. is not intended to, and does not, provide medical advice diagnosis or treatment. Never disregard professional medical advice, or delay in seeking it, because of something you have read on the PSP groups or on the website. Never rely on information in an e-mail or on our web site in place of seeking professional medical advice.