Event Permit Application Process

The event application process - from the 76th Precinct Community Newsletter


Event Permit Application Process

Although the event season is coming to an end, you may want to plan ahead for next year. Street Fairs, Block Parties, and Concerts in local parks are quite common during the milder weather months. All of these types of events require that you get permission from the City of New York. The Permit application process can be confusing as each agency has its own application processes, application deadlines, and different fees. Here are some helpful guidelines and requirements you will need to know if you are planning to host one of these events:

A. Street Activity Permits:

“Street Activity Permits” are required for Street Fairs, Block Parties, and any other such activity that takes place on a city street or sidewalk. These permits are issued by the Mayor’s Street Activities Permit Office and require that you submit and pay for an application on-line at least ninety (90) days in advance of the event date. Block closings can only last a maximum of nine (9) hours in duration. Therefore, when considering the time span, take note that events may initiate as early as 9:00 AM and that they must conclude no later than 9:00 PM. Please use the following link to the Street Activities Permit Office (SAPO) for additional information and to process your application for Street Activity Permits: Street Activity Permit Office (SAPO).

In the past, the application were submitted through your local Community Board. Although applications are no longer processed there, Community Board Six, located at 250 Baltic Street, will gladly assist you with the permit application process and will even let you use their computers. Please call them at 718-643-3027 to make an appointment. They also publish additional information on the process and offer some tips for a successful event on their website at: Brooklyn Community Board 6.

B. New York City Department of Parks & Recreation Special Event Permits:

Concerts, Wedding Ceremonies, Birthday Parties, or any other event that takes place in a Public Park requires a Permit from the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, Special Events division. The Parks Department requires that you apply at least twenty-one (21) to thirty (30) days in advance of the event date to allow for processing. Use the following link to the Special Events section of the NYC Department of Parks & Recreation for a more detailed explanation on the process: Parks Special Event Permit Request.

C. New York City Police Department Sound Device Permits:

In addition to any of the above described permits, if you are going to have any sort of amplified sound during your event (such as music, microphones speakers, amplifiers, etc.) you are required to obtain an Amplified Sound Device Permit from the NYPD. These permits are applied for directly at the 76NYPD Sound Device Permit Application. th Precinct via the Community Affairs Officers and they must be submitted at least five (5) business days prior to your event date to allow sufficient time for processing. In general, you must first have a permit from one of the other agencies to hold your event, before a Sound Device Permit may be issued. Please contact the 76th Precinct Community Affairs Officers at 718-834-3207 for an appointment or for additional information. You may access an NYPD Sound Permit Application on-line via the official NYPD website.

credit: 76th Precinct Community Newsletter